Monday, January 31, 2005

Meet me at the club, old sport

"At the Somerset," St. Botolph members have long chuckled, "they have the money; at the Union, they manage it; at the Algonquin, they’re trying to make it; and at the St. Botolph, they enjoy it."
The on-line edition of the Harvard Crimson provides this excellent article on the history of Boston's "clubs" — those establishments where the right sort of gentlemen could, in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, go to drink, smoke, dine and socialize with their peers. It is fascinating to read that most of these century-old institutions are still in existence, and even more fascinating to read their associated lore and traditions.

And just when you thought all things Victorian were dead and buried, what?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog you have. I have a site about banjo tablature sourwood mountain. You can check it out at banjo tablature sourwood mountain

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog you have. I have a site about banjos he. You can check it out at banjos he

12:31 AM  
Blogger Infactahost.com said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a banner exchange site suggest site/blog. It pretty much covers banner exchange site suggest related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

10:44 PM  
Blogger answer-man said...

ps I'm having a little trouble sending comments so if I do it twice please excuse me and I apologize.

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home